Monday, March 10, 2014

Sarah's first visit to Canberra with RESULTS



Maree, Sarah, Andrew Wilkie MP, Gina and Camilla.

by Sarah Kirk, RESULTS Australia's Global Health Campaigns Manager (Tuberculosis)

As a new RESULTS staff member, I was excited to head down to Canberra last week with the RESULTS team and watch advocacy in action. Wow, was I in for a lesson in how being prepared sure does pay off!

Armed with our extensive briefs, trusty folders and personal stories of some of the beneficiaries of the Global Fund’s projects in PNG and South Africa, I headed to my meetings.  One of my highlights was meeting with Sharman Stone, the Federal Member for Murray, Victoria. Dr. Stone was a straight talker who was extremely knowledgeable about the issues, in particular education and GAVI. I am excited to work with her on TB/HIV issues, especially where they affect women and girls.

Another highlight was meeting Andrew Wilkie. Andrew has been a long standing supporter of ours and I was unprepared for his generosity and interest in the issues of aid and development.

It was really exciting to hear Andrew Wilkie tell us that RESULTS was the best advocacy organisation that he had ever dealt with! Far better than professional lobbyists!

No comments:

Post a Comment